Saturday, October 3, 2009

Patience

Caleb waited 45 years to receive the land that was promised to him. I've waited almost 30 years for something that I believe God wants me to have, but I lose sight of the promised land sometimes and get discouraged. I wonder if Caleb ever became so discouraged that he was about to give up and think his promise would never be fulfilled. God's time is not our time. I've learned that lesson over and over in my life. I wonder how long it will take me to bring that to my mind first instead of after nail biting, worry, anger, etc.
The funny thing is that in my reading of Joshua and Proverbs paired, this is what Proverbs in The Message says to me today.
Proverbs 3:5
Trust God from the bottom of your heart,
don't try to figure out everything on your own.
Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go.
he's the one who will keep you on track.

I love it when I coincidentally read just the passage I need. I've many times searched for something to answer my questions intentionally by using a concordance or other aid.
I am following along with several people right now who are having to trust God from the bottom of their hearts. So many people battling cancer are having to let go and let God. Mr. Blue, Mr. Capps, a high school classmate's sister, Bob Trousdale, Natalie O'dell, to name a few. All of them say the same thing; we just have to trust God because all of this is out of our hands. They are trusting doctors and their treatments and not trying to figure out everything on their own. That may be the most difficult thing for humans to do. We want to be in control.
I lost control of my life when Jason was killed. I realized that I can't control anything, I can only trust God. God sees my future; He knows what else I will have to face. I will listen for God's voice in every trial because He will keep me on track.

No comments: