Friday, March 12, 2010

Tiffany's service

I went to another funeral today for a young person whose life ended too soon from our earthly perspective. We think that three score and ten is promised, but not all of us get that. Some of us take seventy years to make the impact that Tiffany made on this earth, but some, like Tiffany, figure out what's important early. Does God give an extra dose of wisdom to those whose life He knows will only be a few years? I don't know, but I do know this. If my life had ended at age 20, I wouldn't have left the legacy that Tiffany left. "She was always happy." "She was always smiling." "She loved everyone." "Everyone loved her." "She honored God with her life." Over and over these statements have been made this week. It is so obvious that the statements were true by the huge crowd at the service, the loving tributes made by her family and friends, her own testimony on video. Everything we witnessed today revealed a life that honored God.
I remember the peace I felt after Jason's service. My nephew spoke and told some really funny stories about Jason's childhood. The music was perfect. Jimmy's sermon ministered to us and gave us a picure of heaven that I've carried with me for almost eighteen months. The huge crowd embraced us; people we knew and people we'd never met came together for one common purpose. They loved and wanted to honor Jason's life.
I told Tiffany's family Wednesday night that I wasn't sure how long it takes to make the grief lessen, but I realized today that I'm farther along than I thought. This is what I now know that I didn't know before Sept 20, 2008.
-I know what a tragedy is--it's not losing a ballgame, being short of money, dealing with expensive car repairs, losing a job, making a bad grade, having a kid in trouble--I have seriously overreacted to these very things in my life.
-I know how much I love my family-this really should have been a given because I have always loved them to distraction, but I now know that my family has priority over all.
-I know that length of years really means nothing. My dad used to say, "I have to go to people's funerals so they'll come to mine." It always caused a groan, but seriously, a large funeral usually means a life cut short. If you live to be old, you outlive your friends and family, but if you die young...well, Jason's service and Tiffany's are examples of the kind of funeral a young person gets--standing room only. Tiffany got twenty years; Jason got thirty-three; both impacted a huge number of people by their life and more by their death.
-I know the power of prayer. Prior to Jason's death I thought I was not strong enough to survive if one of my children died. I am not strong enough, but through the prayers of my friends and family, God strengthened me.
I hope I've learned what I'm supposed to have learned. I pray that my eyes will continue to focus on what is important and Who is important. I pray that I can use the lessons I've learned to enlighten others.

No comments: