Wednesday, March 10, 2010

March

March will never be the same for me again. Every mother understands that the month her child was born is very special from the first day of the month to the end. Jason's birthday was always during Spring Break, so we celebrated for several days. Next week would have been Jason's 35th birthday. He was truly bothered by getting older. I used to laugh at him because he did not want to turn 30, or 31, or 32...
He told me many times that he didn't want any more birthdays after 30. Now he remains forever 33, a perfect age if you ask me. Last year I was traveling back from skiing on his birthday. This year we will get home the day before, so Tony and I will somehow honor his day. I'll take spring flowers to the cemetery; we'll probably go out to dinner that evening, and we'll surely cry a few tears. Is this year easier than last? Not yet.
Monday of this week Tiffany Fowler Tiffin was killed in a horrible automobile accident. She was only twenty years old. That's just not enough time on this earth for most people, but it seems to have been enough for Tiffany. Her life was lived to honor God. She was a great witness to all of her friends.
I've been reading the facebook page set up in her honor. Tiffany's short life reached so many people. She was a wonderful Christian example to her peers. I'm awed by the number of people who have posted their admiration for her because she lived her faith. What a legacy to leave behind at such a young age.
I went by to see her family this evening. Her sweet husband is heartbroken as I expected; her parents and brother are devastated as I expected; her in-laws are broken as I expected. What I didn't expect was for them to all reach out to me. Her mother thanked me for coming because she knew that this had brought all memories of Jason fresh to the surface. I've heard this several times this week. It's an awkward possition for me. Our faculty is grieving Tiffany's death, but so many of my colleagues are checking on me, asking me how I'm doing. I guess I wasn't prepared for this.
I must admit that tears have been right behind my eyes during class since Tuesday, but I'm assuming that all of our staff who knew and loved Tiffany and her husband Jake have experienced the same feelings I have.
I am so blessed to have the people in my life that I work with. They take care of me even though I don't know I need to be taken care of.
Live it up forever, Tiffany Fowler Tiffin. If we thought you were a bright spot here on earth, imagine what a joy you are in heaven.

No comments: