Thursday, January 14, 2010

Haiti

We have another horrible tragegy in one of the most impoverished places in the Western Hemisphers. The earthquake in Haiti is total devastation. They have already buried 7,000 and are expecting the death toll to be near 50,000. Right now the immediate needs are so basic, food, water, shelter, medical supplies and help. We have no idea how these people are going to survive.
This is another situation where the bride of Christ can reach out and help. I know that there are already missionaries that are there, but their main concern is survival for themselves and their families. We have to send immediate and continued help. Today so many planes were flying in with humanitarian aid that they couldn't land.
Brad and Angelina donated a million, one of the baseball leagues donated a million; George Clooney was on the news for helping in some way. I wonder if we added up all the money that Christian people send through the Red Cross, Save the Children, Feed the Children, etc. how much it would be. I certainly hope we could beat the celebrities. I'm thankful for celebrities like Brad and Angelina and George. They seem to have hearts of giving and sharing. They have encouraged other wealthy people to be humanitarians.
Of course, then we have Pat Roberson, who said on his tv program, that Haiti made a deal with the devil many years ago; therefore, they have continually suffered poverty and now this earthquake. What an embarrassment! We heard the same thing when the hurricane hit New Orleans. I don't remember hearing anything of this type about Indonesia and Italy. How do we decide which ones we blame on the people who live near the earthquake or flood and which ones are just natural disasters? I guess we ask Pat Roberson.
I guess from his way of thinking, Moore, Oklahoma must be an evil city. They've been hit by tornados multiple times. I know some people who live in Moore; they don't seem like the type to make a deal with devil.
I hope the people who watch his program don't buy in to his garbage. How exactly did they make a deal with devil? Was there a handshake, a contract, a fiddle?
Does he really believe that God is in heaven sending tragedy on an entire nation of people with a wave of His hand. He could, but I don't believe He does. If that were true, He probably would also be striking down people who displease Him. People would be dropping like flies all over the world.
From what I have been told by missionaries, Hawaii is a very difficult place to start a Christian church. The civil authorities put up roadblocks that make establishing churches very difficult, yet I've never seen total destruction in Hawaiil. Opps, I may have given God an idea.
Pat Roberson does not speak for me. He should read a book I read years ago called .
Following Jesus Without Embarrassing God Should I send a copy to Mr. Roberson?

No comments: