Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The week before Spring Break

Students need Spring Break; I realize this, but I don't think the week is for the students. It is for the teachers. We just finished our grades, we have two nights of parent-teacher conferences this week, we are exhausted. Today was that day in between the two thirteen hour days. When I was leaving the building this evening, I exited with teachers who usually stay for awhile after school. They were dragging out, just as I was, and heading home immediately. Knowing that tomorrow morning we will enter again for another long, long day, we had to get out of there fast. We get Friday off, but we will be too exhausted to enjoy it. All it does is give us a day to rest before the official break begins.
I'm going skiing next week for the first time with none of my kids going along. Cindy Humphrey, Cindy Hale, Mel Rogers, Janna and her girls and I are going for a "girls only" trip. I can't wait; I think that I sometimes just need mountain air. I feel closer to God in the mountains, and I need to feel closer to God right now.
We will be driving back on Jason's birthday. March 18th July 24th, and November
11th have been very special days for me for 34, 28, and 21 years respectively. I never knew how significant my birthday was for my mother until Jason was born. My kids' birthdays have been more important than my own for 34 years. Their birthdays always bring back the wonderful memories of seeing their precious faces for the first time and falling instantly in love. At this point I can honestly say that those three dates were the best days of my life. I've been told that becoming a grandmother will be even better, but I can't imagine that. I will try to honor Jason this year. It will be a rough day, but thankfully I will be with people who not only care about me but also loved Jason. They will let me remember; they won't care if I cry; they will probably cry with me. I'm very blessed to have them as friends and family.

No comments: