Monday, March 2, 2009

The Shack

A couple of months ago I read The Shack, a very popular book in Christian circles right now. I loved the book, felt like I learned a great deal from reading it, even felt that I healed a little when I read it. The problem is that those lessons don't stick with me. I forget, and then I start thinking again. I think about loss and death, and I ask why me? We have already grieved so many times in recent years; why are we having to do this again? Is there a lesson that I was supposed to learn that I didn't learn when Momma, Phyllis, Daddy, Linda died? Am I so bull-headed that God can't get through to me until everything I love is taken from me? Me. Me. Me. Me.

Saturday I bought The Shack on audio. I skipped the sad chapters at the beginning and went straight to the chapters when the main character meets God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit in human form. Now I remember why the book had such an impact on me the first time through. This world is messed up; human-kind messed it up; it isn't the way God intended it to be, so we suffer. Horrible things happen to us and to the people we love, not because God is punishing us but because of sin.
I don't know how many times I will have to listen to this book, but I will purpose right now to listen to it until the message chases out the negative thoughts that creep into my mind.

No comments: