Sunday, March 8, 2009

Another interesting sermon

Today's message was above my head in some ways. My preacher might be a little too smart for me, but I still learn and grow under his tutelage. As Christians each of us are composed of three parts: the sarx (flesh), the nous (processing center of thoughts), and the pneuma (spirit of God). Today he addressed what we do with thoughts that come into our mind. (At the time he was preaching this, I was thinking that those words sounded like something Dr. Seuss would write). Ok, so I was not guarding my thoughts.
If we just receive information through the sarx, we respond selfishly--thinking only of ourselves. We must let the pneuma determine how we react to life.
He remined us that our minds are inventive. We can imagine things that aren't really there, and these imaginings can destroy our relationships. We have to let God speak to us to let us know what is true and what is not.
I wonder if throughout my life I have lost friends because they have imagined something about me that wasn't there, or have I imagined things about them that I made up in my head?

II Corinthians 10:5 We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.

No comments: