Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Ministering Angels

Now I know why the idea of the blogspot came to me last night. I am hearing from people who have read it and have been touched or who feel the need to reach out to me.
I can't explain what has happened tonight without going into entirely too much background; I will give you the shortened version. All day I have been wondering what I would do during the service that the people in Nebraska are having in Jason's honor. I didn't think it would be appropriate to just sit and watch television, but I didn't want to sit and cry either. I received a call on my caller ID from Patty Shackelford, one of my childhood friends. We grew up in the same church, attended the same Sunday School classes, VBS, camp--everything. Patty lives in Norman and is married to a man who has banking connections in Gordon, NE. He received word of Jason's death because someone at the bank in Gordon remembered that Patty's mother who died recently lived in Tecumseh, OK. These were the people whom Jason played golf with Saturday. Patty shared with me that they said he had had a wonderful day, they had gone to the Country Club and had dinner and had just stayed too long. Of course, Jason had to drive out to the ranch, and we think he fell asleep while driving.
All week I have wondered what his last day was like. Jason wasn't much of a golfer, but just like in everything he did, he had fun. When he called me on his way to the golf tournament, I jokingly asked, "You're on a team, right." He laughed and assured me that he was.
That is just one example of God moving in Jason's and my friends' hearts to remind me that He is who he says He is.
By the time Patty and I finished our lengthy conversation, the first one since high school, I felt like we had just reconnected after a few weeks' absence. We had visited during the time of the memorial in Gordon, and by the time I shared this experience with a few others on the phone, I felt pretty sure that the service was over. It really doesn't matter because I have just had another reminder that God will take care of me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Debbie, thanks for sharing your thoughts with all of us. You and Tony must be so proud of a wonderful son, wonderful brother and a great friend to so many people.

I also remember a lot of church camps and activities with you and Patty, the Isaacs, Pam and others and still have fond memories of those days. I know those early days and the choices we made have helped us to have the strengh we need to get through tough times like this.

Your Dad and my Mom shared the same birthday. Nate always came around to shake hands and greet his "twin". I imagine they had a big birthday party on the 10th!

I can't even imagine what all you are going through but please know you are all in my every thought and in my prayers. I know we don't understand the "why's" but there's comfort in knowing we can meet our loved ones again someday.

Thank you again for sharing thoughts of Jason with those of us who deeply regret not getting to know him well!

Humphrey said...

Paula, I never did get a chance to tell you this. Friday was so full of interruptions. I also knew that my dad and your mom shared a birthday, but I don't think you realize that my mom died July 10, the same date that your mom died. I bet they really enjoyed that irony in heaven.