Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Going through "stuff"

I started a project today that I have put off for two years and ten months. I've been going through Jason's "stuff." His wonderful friends in Nebraska packed up his things, and we stored them in a spare bedroom. We've gotten a few things out of there, but for the most part everything has remained the same as when we first placed it in there. Now comes the question, What do I do with all of this "stuff"?
I pulled out ballcaps and have been washing them in the dishwasher today. I condensed all of the shirts and jackets in one bin and all of the jeans in another. I pulled out all underwear, socks, sweats, etc. and will decide later what to do with them. I condensed all leather stuff, chaps, bridles, boots into one bin. I pulled out all OSU t-shirts. I already know what I'm doing with those. I'm making myself a quilt or throw out of those. I will take my time, quilt around all of the designs, and maybe use some of the jeans to make dividers. Even if it takes me months to finish, it will be a labor of love. It will be the kind of quilt that I will be able to put on the floor and let babies crawl on or take to a ballgame to sit on or place over your legs.
I've never been one to make a shrine to someone I've lost, but I think it's time to make a place for Jason's most valuable treasures. The belt buckles, spurs, and a couple of plaques and pictures are going to go into my China cabinet. I have a cowboy hat that I will probably have steamed and cleaned to put there. I have to be careful. I don't want to make everyone sad when they walk into my house, but I have to honor him. It's not like his memory ever leaves our minds.
I'm open to suggestions.

2 comments:

Mel said...

You should make a shadow box.

Humphrey said...

Good idea, Mel. I may have to get Tony involved in that one.