Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Rant--Facebook etiquette.

I just went to visit Brittany Coker’s family. Brittany was killed in a car accident last night, and her death was posted on facebook before her family was notified. OK, people, you don’t have to be the first to post something as soon as you hear it. Please think before you post.
After I talked to her mother, I realized that I knew of Brittany’s death before her own mother was notified. This shouldn’t happen.
When my son Jason was killed, he was in Nebraska, and the accident occurred at 11:30 p. m. We were notified in person by two deputy sheriffs at 3:00. Brittany’s grandparents were notified of her death by a relative who saw it on facebook. This shouldn’t happen.
Brittany’s mother was told of her daughter’s death over the telephone. This shouldn’t happen.
I don’t know any other way to get to the facebook crowd than to post on facebook, so I’m asking you to copy and paste this to your wall so that it will get to as many people as possible.

Debbie Humphrey

2 comments:

Teresa said...

My prayers are going out to the family. I'm sure the person who posted it did it unthinkingly and was shocked by the news and tried to reach out. I don't know the person obviously but that's what I pictured. What a great lesson in how good intentions can go so wrong.

ConnieK said...

i wondered about that too. I don't know Brittay or the other people but I saw the post and it was so sudden that I wondered if people were notified yet. it did appear to be just a moment of shock and concern etc, i think Teresa is right on with her assumption. but it is definitely too important to not learn something from this - for the person that did it and for the rest of us.