Sunday, May 23, 2010

Year 20 at THS

Friday I received my twenty year pin from Tecumseh Public Schools. I'm feeling rather weird about the stage of life I'm in. When you grow up the baby of the family and marry someone even a little older than you are, you think you will always be the "youngun." Not true. There's only about three people at school who are older than I am right now. Many of the people I work with are the age of my children, so I have a motherly influence in their lives. It happened so fast; I went from being in the middle of my career to nearing the end. I would like to teach full-time for two more years until my National Board Certification expires, and then I really want to retire from full-time but continue to teach half days. That sounds like a great plan, but if life has taught me anything, it is this. I can make all the plans I want to, but things will happen the way they are meant to happen.
I hear parents today say the same thing I said when my kids were growing up. When they entered school, I couldn't believe that time had gone by so fast. When they graduated, I couldn't believe that time had gone by so fast. Now that they are adults, I'm saying that time is going by too fast.
Who savors every moment? According to Thornton Wilder in Our Town, the saints and poets maybe. I want to live like a saint or poet. I want to make the most of my life, every minute, every hour, every day. I don't want to waste the time God has given me.

No comments: