Sunday, April 4, 2010

Easter

Easter Sunday is special. It's not special because of eggs, bunnies, or chocolate; it's not special because of ham, potatoes, or deviled eggs. It's special because it commemorates the most important event in Christian history. Jesus is alive!!!
Without the resurrection, Jesus is just like the other prophets. Without the resurrection, we are all doomed.
Church was packed this morning, and all the elements of the service were excellent. The music was incredible, the baptism videos and baptisms were inspiring, and as always, Jimmy's sermon was just what a message from God should be. A new addition to the service was a video from a brave young lady who shared her testimony with the church. She exhibited such courage. Most of us are not brave enough to bare our souls on a video that will be played in front of two people much less 500 people, but this brave young lady exposed herself to the congregation with one thought in mind--maybe my story will help someone who has traveled a similar road. If you don't attend Harrah Church, you can watch the service and video on harrahchurch.com.
This afternoon Allison and Carson, Gigi and Aunt Polly came out for dinner, but Tony and I cooked the entire meal. It's sad when Aunt Polly can't contribute to the meal; she's just not up to it right now. I know the kids were disappointed that there were no dumplings or macaroni and cheese. When someone has a speciality, it just doesn't work for someone else to bring it. The ladies left very soon after the meal, Carson went fishing, and Tony, Allison and I napped on and off, and I read while Tony watched basketball, golf, horseracing. You know how you can hear what's on television while you are napping. I'm going to just say that golf is the only sport that allows a good nap. The announcers whisper and let you sleep. The call of the horse race is the most annoying. Any kind of ballgame is in between, so my nap was strange. I would sleep and dream for a few minutes and then wake up and read a chapter, and then fall back asleep. I'm not sure what this means for tonight, but I'll take a Tylenol PM just in case.
This is much different from the Easters from earlier years. No egg hunt, no frilly dresses, the Easter bunny bought Carson a tank of gas and gave Allison some t-shirts.
He still bought some candy and colored some eggs, more for me than for anyone else.
Janna called this afternoon and told me that she had her mom's videos put on DVD. The first one Fred tried to watch was of Easter at my mom and dad's when Evan and Carson were little. Phyllis was taping, Jason was hiding eggs, mom and dad were watching, and Carson and Evan were hunting eggs. Only Carson and Evan are still living. I doubt I'll ever be able to watch that tape; I may not be able to watch any of them. I have the memories vividly stored in my mind.
I have to return to the beginning of this post. Easter is special; without Easter morning--my sorrow would be overwhelming-hopeless, but with Easter morning, I can rest assured that this life is just a few years. I'll see them all again.

No comments: