Sunday, September 12, 2010

Grace

My Sunday school class has been studying Peter. I think there is a reason that they chose to study him. It may have been to teach me. He is a character that I can all relate to. He stuck his foot in his mouth just like I do. He was impetuous, impulsive, (notice that both of those words start with imp). He was the one who denied Christ. He actually said the words, "I don't know him." We talked in class about how we deny Christ today. I've never been in a situation where my life was in danger, so I can't say what I would do if I were threatened. I hope I would remain faithful, but I have denied Christ by my actions. I've let people look at me in my silly seasons and think, isn't she supposed to be a Christian. That's denying Christ. I think one important thing for us to think about is what we do after we have done something that denies Christ. Many of us have gone into hiding or avoided ministry because we don't feel like we should represent Him. Someone else who has been wiser has to do that job.
After the resurrection Peter preached the sermon recorded in Acts that ended with 3000 people becoming believers. What if Peter had gone in hiding after he heard that rooster? What if he had done the "human" thing and felt unworthy to witness? What would have happened to the cause if he had kept quiet on the day of Pentecost? I've also had to rethink my feelings about "fallen" people being in the ministry. If God wants someone to continue to preach, who am I to say they aren't fit? I wonder how old I will be when I get this all figured out?

No comments: