Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Prayers for Justin's family

Justin Johnson, a former student at THS, was killed in a construction accident today. He leaves his wife, three boys and a host of friends and family to mourn his death. My heart hurts for his family. He was a cousin to Chase, my red-headed step-son (Carson's friend). Chase took the news of his death pretty hard. I know how it feels to get up on a day that you think is just like all other days, and suddenly your world is flipped upside down. You begin marking time from that moment and, I guess, continue to do that for the remainder of your life.
We went to Stillwater tonight to have a Valentine's dinner with Allison and Carson. I know that Jason wouldn't have been there anyway, but we missed him. Our family is so spread out in age that we often only had two of the children at a time. Before Carson we had seven years of just two; we only had five years of all three at home; then for six years we just had two at home again, then Carson was the lonely only for six years. Even though we seldom got together with all three of them and just us, I feel lonesome for Jason when we are just the four of us now.
Chase was supposed to join us tonight, but the news about Justin caused him to stay home. I hate that he has to grieve another loss. Chase was close to Jason--they really had a strange bond that began just as soon as they met one another. I know this will be another tough loss for him to understand. He is especially sad to think of Justin's boys. Life sure knocks people around, doesn't it?

No comments: